09 May 2013

Seoul Walking : Hoehyundong (Under Ground)

Like many big cities with extreme seasons, Seoul has all kinds of tunnels and underground shopping centres dotted about the place. They provide a haven in Winter when it's -16°C and icy out, or in Summer when it's stinking hot and pouring with rain. And - being filled with all kinds of quirky and surprising shops - they're also just a fun place to explore. This is Hoehyundong, my neighbourhood, under ground. 

I love the Hoehyundong Underground Shopping Centre. From a purely practical perspective, it means I can leave my apartment and do the grocery shopping, go out for lunch - five dollar soup noodles with tofu and kim chi; or perhaps sushi, bibimbap or my favourite 만두 (dumplings) - and post a package or two without ever stepping outside. 

Each underground shopping centre seems to have it's own specialities, and ours seems to be perfectly matched to the things I love. There are fun little clothing stores (granted, I can't fit in to most of it but they're cute to look at); tiny coffee shops and restaurants; hand crafted shoe stores; more vinyl than you could possibly imagine (and  a wonderfully crazy mix too!); wool emporiums with little groups of knitters and hookers working away; vintage cameras and books and stamps (I hunt out the ones with dachshunds on them, of course); and more camera accessories than a happy snapper could possibly ask for (like this camera bag). 

Basically - we live on top of an underground shopping centre devoted to vintage, photography and craft. A perfect piece of serendipity, yes?

7 comments:

  1. That looks like such a great place to while away some time! Wish I could join you for a wander one day..... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how great would that be! I find the vinyl shops most distracting (a trip to the post office can end up taking an hour because of them!), followed closely by the yarn stores. Lots of fun!

      Delete
  2. I love Korea's use of underground space. :) I'm so glad I found your blog via Kelly's! I'm moving (back) to Korea next month, actually. Whoo~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks for stopping by! I'm so glad I found your blog and your awesome zones via Kelly (hooray for the internets!). Are you heading to Seoul? I'm heading back to Sydney in August but maybe our paths will cross?!

      Delete
  3. This is so interesting, thank you! I had no idea there was so much underground stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I really want to go there.
    You enticed me with tofu and kim chi and won me over with vintage and photography! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.