01 March 2013

Death by Doxie : Elfi Makes a Sleeping Bag (Part 1)

Dachshunds were originally bred as hunting dogs, trained to track and flush out badgers and rabbits and other burrowing animals. I guess their stumpy little legs made it easier for them to fit down a rabbit hole, maybe? Anyway, for whatever reason, dachshunds still seem to like to burrow. The trait seems especially strong in shorthairs, and Elfi is no exception. She loves it when the bed sheets are strapped on tight so she can stick her nose in and make her way under the covers. And she loves to take a cushion and turn it in to a sleeping bag. And sometimes maybe take a bit of the stuffing out while she's at it. Ferdi helps, of course. Mainly by trying to eat her...

8 comments:

  1. Oh my! This is to cute. Not so much that the pillow is destroyed. More so that your adorable little four legged ones have proven to be very resourceful with their surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily it was an el cheapo IKEA cushion that had somehow managed to last as dog beds for four years...I was more than happy to donate it to Elfi's architecture project!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! Possibly the cutest thing ever!

    I remember when Ralph was a puppy and she'd been outside for ages so I went out looking for her and after much searching discovered she'd chewed a hole in her kennel mattress and had worked her way inside. She was unable to get out so I had to help her. She had different mattresses after that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe...oh that is far too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gawd. i die. my guy isn't a burrower!! i feel gyped! he likes to lie atop the edge of the couch, mainly to be higher than the cat i think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Sounds cute...Elfi always likes to have the prime position on the couch too (which she normally interprets as being as close to the husband as possible, which is insulting to me really! Maybe she knows the person who dishes up her dog chow isn't the one who actually pays for it?)

      Delete
  5. eep! This is what Gracie does! I love that she has doxie traits, like burrowing. Sometimes I find her inside the pillow case, snuggled in amongst the pillow.
    I love how Ferdi is "helping" Elfi!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.