19 August 2011

Farewell...

My wonderful Grandma did pass away last week.  But instead of dwelling on the sadness and the loss that we feel right now, I want to tell you about some happy things.

First up, I'm happy that I was able to make it to Melbourne to visit her in hospital and to be part of her farewell.  I'm happy that I got to see all of my cousins, albeit all too briefly.

I'm happy that my Grandma lived till a ripe old age; that she lived an incredible life full of love and strength and learning and adventure (oh the stories she could tell!).  And I'm happy that she got to share in the lives of all her grand kids and her countless great grand kids.  She was a part of our happy times and our successes, and she supported us through our less than shiny moments.  I'm happy that we've been lucky enough to have had her presence in our lives.

I'm happy that she was able to pass on her love of family, her stubbornness, her open-heartedness, her not-taking-life/yourself-too-seriously-ness, her lifelong-learning-ness, to a second and third and fourth generation - that's pretty cool huh?  

Grandma - you will be sorely missed, but you will not be forgotten. x


9 comments:

  1. lots of love to you and your family emily xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences to you and your family Emily.

    Your Grandmother must have been a truly wonderful woman and it's terrific to read a celebration of all the gifts that she shared so generously.

    I'm so pleased that you made it back in time to say goodbye and I'm sure that you will be drawing on her rich wisdom and positive role modeling forever.

    Blessings and a great big hug from afar,

    xx Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Emily, I am so very sorry. Thinking of you. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very sorry, Emily. Sending lots of good thoughts your way during a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so precious Emily; what a beautiful way to celebrate her importance in your lives. Sending our condolences and hugs from Macau. Mary/John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you and your family Emily ... this post is a wonderful tribute and certainly shows your Grandmother's warm and strong spirit.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you got to see your Grandmother one last time, they are amazing lady's arn't they, I hope this sad time will be replaced with all the happy memories you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for you loss! She sound like she was a wonderful woman. I'm glad you made it to see her one last time. My Grandmother passed away last December and I am so thankful for the time I was able to spend with her.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.